Sunday, November 18, 2007

Day Forty...A New Perspective on an Old Story

So, today's sermon was on John chapter 4. It was about the Samaritan woman at the well. Jesus had been teaching in Judea and decided to go to Galilee. On his way, he stopped at Jacob's Well. He was thirsty. A woman was there...as Samaritan woman, no less...drawing water from the well. He asked her to draw some for Him. She said, "why do you ask me for water? I'm a woman...as Samaritan..." He said, "If you knew who I was, you'd ask ME for living water." She said, "You have nothing to draw with and the well is deep." Here's Pastor's take on this: Because the woman couldn't see the means of provision, she not only misunderstood, she doubted..." How could God provide if He didn't have a bucket? She misunderstood God's promise for provision, then also doubted that He could actually provide. Pastor then said, "We shouldn't expect God to tell us HOW He's going to do what He's going to do. We just need to BELIEVE He will." Jesus was going to give the woman living water...water that moves under its own will...it didn't need to be drawn...it was alive...That water makes us satisfied. Pastor then said, "I've been asked this question: 'How can you say that all the Christians in the world, with all their complaining and whining and...how can you say they're satisfied?" Well...the well of living water...the artisian well...moves under its own power...IT CAN BE CAPPED. Why am I always dissatisfied? My artisian well has been capped. We are just as satisfied as we want to be. I have the choice to uncap the well of living water that God has given me. Once that happens, I will be more satisfied than I can ever imagine. I will be satisfied with God, His promises for me, and the way He will choose to make those promises come to fruition.

That's what God spoke to me today...

No comments: