Saturday, November 17, 2007

Day Thirty-Nine...Four Weeks and Counting!

So, I took my PRAXIS test today for my endorsement in Deaf Education from Washington State. I was up tossing and turning, second-guessing myself, asking, "Do I REALLY know what I'm doing? Will I actually be able to PASS this test or will I fail MISERABLY because I am just fooling myself into thinking I know what I'm talking about?" Fortunately, I won't have to take another test...well, at least for a while...until I have to start Continuing Education...joy! Anyway, so I got to the testing center. It was on my undergrad university campus. It felt nice to know exactly where I was going. In fact, I was in the same room in which my Cadre met when I was a student there. Kinda fun!

So, the proctor began with some verbal instructions...the basic, you can't leave the testing area until the time is over...use a #2 pencil...no water, food or gum...no cell phones, etc. No problem...except for the gum part. I had mine and wanted to chew, but...alas, I couldn't.

Ok, time for the test. We got 2 hours for the entire test. I was nervous...until I looked at the test. It was 40 multiple choice questions and 2 constructed response (essay) questions. Oh...my...goodness! There were a few questions I was unsure about so I skipped them to begin with. I answered the ones I was SURE about, then went back (thank God I have good test-taking skills!). Some of the questions that were asked were more a matter of opinion and philosophy than of actual fact. Like one question was something like this:

Mr. Smith, a 5th grade teacher, has noticed that his students aren't turning in their homework. He sits down to write a letter to parents asking for their assistance. Which of the following statements would appeal most to parents to get their students to do their homework.

A) Students who do their homework do better academically.
B) Students who do their homework are more helpful to their parents.
C) Students who do their homework are more productive citizens.
D) Students who do their homework will get a sticker for turning it in.

Ok...so, you'd think that A) would be the answer because it's the truth. However, D) could also be the answer because parents are very competitive with their kids. No one wants little Johnny or Suzie to not have a sticker. But, also, B) could be the answer because doing homework denotes responsibility which leads to productivity. Who knows! So, I put A) because it's what would motivate me to have my children do their homework.

Anyway, so that's what a few of the questions were like...and there was no E) All of the Above option either! ARGH!

So, after finishing the multiple-choice portion, I decided I needed a potty break. Time to clear my head (and my bladder) and stretch my legs and arms.

Then came time for the essay questions. Usually, I can crank out essay questions very easily and really this time was not an exception. I did take a moment and think about what I was going to write, but it didn't take as much thought as it could have.

Don't get me wrong, it took me the entire 2 hours to complete the test, but I had an opportunity to review my answers and make sure I was comfortable with them before time was up. It was nice to feel good walking out of an exam. Now all I have to do is wait...for 4 weeks...until I get my test results. Then I can apply to the state and get my endorsement for my certificate. That'll be another 4-6 weeks after I apply. So, all told, it'll be about 10 weeks before I get my certificate back with my endorsement printed on it, so around mid-February...right in time to begin applying for jobs for next year! I sure hope I get one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, maybe this test, your paper, getting your endorsement, etc. is the reason why God hasn't provided a permanent job yet. Maybe He wanted your full attention on this so you could finish well and not have to make anything up. (Although, you've always been a great student so I doubt it would have taken you more than once to get through the tests and papers) And as you well know, first year of teaching is CRAZY and will be nice to not have to worry about all of this stuff! Just a thought...

Anyway, just wanted to share that and say that I'm so excited for you and celebrate your accomplishments! Woo-hoo!!!