Friday, September 21, 2007

Day Fifteen...One of the Worst Days

So, as y'all know, I have migraines. I've been to many doctors for many pain meds but none seem to work very well. So, I took a trip to the doctor a few weeks ago to see if she could do anything. She was very nice, but gave me a medicine that cost (with insurance) nearly $70...for 9 pills! That gives me a headache just thinking about it. So, I haven't taken one because it's like eating $7.77 every time I do. Well, I took one today because I couldn't miss any more work. As it is, I prolly won't have enough for both rent and all my other expenses...food bank, here I come! Anyway, I woke up with the headache, felt OK, but the pharmacist said to take one even if you suspect a migraine otherwise it may not work well. So, I popped one, praying for a miracle-cure for the day. Well, I felt OK enough to shower, get something to eat, and do a little computer work. Well, as soon as I was ready to go, I turned around in the swivel chair at the desk and nearly lost my rice krispies. I just sat there for a minute thinking, "ok, you just turned around too fast...breathe it off...you'll be fine." So, I sat there for about 5 minutes, not moving. Olorin asked if I was OK. I knew I wasn't OK. I told her no and went upstairs where I actually DID lose my rise krispies. Twice. My eyes were all blurry and I was dizzy. I called in sick to work, hoping to sleep it off and go in late. I laid down on my bed and began to shiver...I mean, I was freezing my patootie off. I was in my clothes for work and curled up under my blankets just to get warm. I got up and took my temperature and it wasn't that high...only 100...but I was FREEZING! And ask everyone...I like it cold (although, today it was 63 and I finally broke down and turned the heat on...even though it's not October!), but I was freezing. Like I said, I was in my jeans and t-shirt for work...and my bra (I HATE THAT THING!!!), shivering under my sheet, my great-grandmother's homemade quilt and my mexico blanket. And I was still shivering...teeth chattering and everything. At some time, I fell asleep all under my blankets (except my mouth...can't breathe warm air...nasty!) and didn't wake up again until 4:30 or so. I got into some comfy clothes and came back downstairs. I wasn't feeling the best, but much better than before. I had called the doctor and she said that if I had a reaction like this, not to continue taking it (and she went to medical school for 8 years for this sage advice...hmmm). She said that my reaction was normal for someone who was going to have a reaction to this medication. Lovely. Had I known that, I NEVER would have taken it! I would have stayed with the narcotics the walk-in doctor gave me and been done with it. Yes, they knock me out, but at least I don't shiver and pass out like I did with this one. Blech...never again! At least now it's all out of my system and I'm going to work tomorrow.

But, on the more positive side of things, like I said yesterday, substituting is picking up. I had to turn down another 3 assignments for tomorrow and 1 for Monday. I told Delibirirth that I'd track until the end of the month, then make my decision. If I worked from tomorrow until the end of the pay period, I would gross $1900. Whereas, working where I am now, I'd only gross $1700. That's $200 more subbing than not. Plus what I have in my paycheck next week coming from my current job. Plus, the bonus of subbing is that I don't have to do the lesson planning so my afternoons, evenings and weekends are free. I can tutor if I need to pick up some extra cash. Or do like my girlfriend did and work a 2nd part time job...like retail a few nights a week...or something. Heck, I could deliver the newspaper if I had to. But, I don't think I'd have to. We'll have to wait and see...and I'll have to put numbers on paper for Delibirirth and Moob for them to see what I see and know that I'm not just making stuff up to quit my job. I wonder if I may qualify for some sort of disability through the state. I'm getting ADA accommodations at work for my migraines. I'll check into that.

No comments: