Thursday, September 20, 2007

Day Fourteen...Things Are Picking Up

Well, I've been tracking the offers I've had from the sub offices at the 3 districts for whom I substitute. I thought it would be good to track my potential income for a month (ok, I wanted 2 weeks, but Delibririth, Moob, Sulla and Ysolla convinced me otherwise!) to be sure that if I quit my guaranteed job, I could make it at the sub jobs. So far, since the beginning of school, I've passed on 7 jobs to the tune of $826.45 (minus taxes). Now, granted, I wouldn't see $556.45 until the end of October, but if I worked every school day between now and October 12th, I would have nearly $2400...plenty for my monthly expenditures. But, since am tracking for a full month, I have about a week and a half left to track. Then, I can make my decision.

I've been doing well as far as my eating. I tell ya, tracking what you're putting in your mouth can really be eye-opening...and mouth-shutting! The first few days, I was eating nearly double the calories I should have been eating in order to lose weight. For the last few days, I've been doing much better. I have calculated that if I lose 2 pounds per week, I'll be at my goal of 160 by February 2010...and really, that's not too far off. It's September now, so that's, what, 29 months...to lose 2/3 of my body weight...not too bad.

I have been toying with the idea of having the lap-band surgery. My doctor recommended it. So, I went online and researched it. It's not as invasive as gastric bypass, with fewer complications. It's not permanent, so should something go wrong, it can be reversed. And, there's a doctor that my Pastor's Wife goes to who is a Christian who does that surgery. It's in his area of expertise. So, I went online to my insurance. The doctor is in network, but (of course) the procedure is deemed cosmetic and, therefore, not covered. Joy! If the insurance people could take one look at me, as well as evaluate my family history (hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol), they'd think of it as preventative medicine! But, trying to convince them of that...well, you've heard the scripture about getting a camel through the eye of a needle? Well...the analogy fits here, too! I guess I'll have to wait until I have different insurance to see if it's covered. Or find a rich uncle to ask to pay for it!

2 comments:

La Moob said...

I am sorry you didn't feel well today, but I have to admit that I enjoyed spending some time with you at dinner. I feel like I NEVER see you anymore...

Alatariel Anwamane said...

It was nice to be home at dinner, too. I miss seeing you all every day. But, if things keep going like this as far as subbing, I'll be able to get back on days and see everyone! And, I can pick up some kids for tutoring if I have to make some extra cash.