Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Day Forty-Nine...And The Winner Is...

It looks like the University of Washington has the best program for a Doctoral degree. They have a Doctor of Education (Ed.D) degree in Special Education and I can place emphasis on Deaf Ed. I've been researching online programs, but they don't exist. I talked with Malinda, my professor/advisor from Nebraska and she told me that I should find a program near me because there is a LOT of student/professor interaction that has to happen with this sort of program. So, I looked at my undergrad university, SPU, and they have an on-campus program, but it's VERY expensive! So, as much as I'd LOVE to go back there, I don't think I can. So, I've been looking at local schools...mainly UW. They have a few doctoral programs...Ph.D.s and Ed.D.s...so, I could choose Education, Special Education, Curriculum and Instruction, and something else...I can't remember. But, I'd probably choose Education or Special Education...that would enable me to get a teaching job at a university...which would be VERY cool! And, the cost is a LOT less.

Now, here's where it becomes an issue. Do I take out MORE student loans or do I say, "Ok, God...if you want me to do this, you have to pay for it?" Do I take it as a sign that if I DON'T get full funding without loans that God doesn't want me to pursue this? Do I bite it off and see what happens? Moob and I were talking about it tonight...she asked, "If you don't get any funding and you have to take all of your tuition/books/supplies, etc., out with student loans, are you willing to do so?" I don't know...honestly. I would LOVE to do it. I feel really excited and peaceful about pursuing the idea. I have some phone calls to make. Maybe I can set up an appointment with an advisor at UW and talk face-to-face with someone about it. That would answer some of the questions.

1 comment:

La Moob said...

Had my freezing child not demanded to be let in the house, I would have told you that next: make an appt for a chat with an advisor. I guess I just think it's a little silly to head for the most expensive program with this, mainly because of how you described the program to be. If you are going to be out there doing this major research...well you'd use the same materials whether you pay 10K per quarter or 10K per 3 quarters, you know? You will get whatever effort you put into the program so why not UofW? At least then we'll have a Husky AND a Coug in the same house...lol