Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Day...whatever it is today

I can't sleep. I've been out sick the last few days and my sleep schedule is all out of whack. In fact, I've been in my bed trying to sleep for 2 hours to no avail. Sigh. I'm tired enough. I keep yawning and my eyes keep closing, but once my eyes close, I start thinking of all kinds of weird things and in inner voice suddenly develops a British accent. And, once that happens, I can't turn it off (my mind, that is...as well as the accent!) and, thus, I can't sleep. Am I stressed out? A little. My job was is not a continuing contract, so I had to reapply and re-interview. I have my interview tomorrow after school. I'm sure I'll do fine. I'm just a little worried that come September, I'll have to start over again. Fortunately, I'll get paid through August, so that's good. And I got a bit of a raise, so that'll help, too. I'm nervous about the questions they'll as me. I've struggled so much this year...I don't want them to think I can't do the job. I don't want to bad-mouth the previous teacher, but she left me with squat. There's no formal curriculum, no supplies, no support materials. If you read my previous post, you'll learn that she lied to me about what she had and hadn't taught the kids...like she was trying to set me up for failure. I guess I just have to go in there with the confidence that God will have me where he wants me. I LOVE my job. I LOVE the school. I LOVE the kids...well, most of 'em! Nah, each one is special to me and I've really had a hard time with some, but if anything were to happen to any of them, I'd be devastated.

So, going in tomorrow, I have my 1st period class and my 5th period class. We're going to learn about lexicalized signs (words that were originally fingerspelled, but the fingerspelling morphed into the sign...like #BACK or #ALL...forming each of the letters quickly has become the sign for that word). I may, depending on time, she the beginning of a video Sound and Fury about Cochlear Implants. We'll see.

For the interview, though, if you think of it, please pray for me at 3:15. That's when my interview is scheduled. I just need to remember to have faith and the confidence that I AM the right person for those kids and that job. I need to project that confidence and determination at the interview. I need to speak with a tone of "You've already got the right teacher", without sounding cocky. I need to remember to remind them that they've already got a vested interest in me with all the training I've gone to and will go to in the summer. I have to act with humility, but confidence in who I am as a teacher. I'm a good teacher and they need to see that. It'll be interesting though...my voice comes and goes when I'm sick, so... I'll update you tomorrow. Right now, it's off to less-than-seven-hours-of-sleep-when-I-should-have-gotten-nine-hours land.

No comments: