Monday, May 12, 2008

Day Ninety-One...Mother's Day

I'm so thankful for my mom. We've grown so close over the last several years...we're AMAZING friends. It's been fun watching our relationship go from parent:child to woman:woman. We can confide anything to each other...and do! I'm so blessed...

So, for mother's day, I cooked dinner. I had a london broil marinading overnight. It was SO yummy! The marinade was from www.allrecipes.com...my new favorite cooking website. Anyway, the marinade was vegetable oil, balsamic vinegar, worcesterchire sauce, soy sauce, lemon juice, thyme, basil, oregano and dijon mustard. By the time I whisked everything together, it came out about the consistency of brown gravy. I put the meat in 2 zipper bags with the marinade, then put the bags in the fridge overnight. Man, oh, man, was that yummy! The only thing I did "wrong" (according the Sulla, our resident trained chef) was throwing the marinade out and not reducing it to make a sauce to go over the beef. However, he said it was perfect!

Then, for side dishes, I made baked fanned potatoes. I cut the potatoes about every 1/4 inch or so, but not all the way through. I used 2 of my wooden spoons as a knife guide. Then I fanned them out on a baking sheet. I sprinkled them with italian seasoning, sea salt and melted butter. Then, I baked them at 450 degrees for 50 minutes. Then, while the recipe called for cheddar, I added mozzarella, parmesan and parsley, sprinkling that mixture and finishing the baking process for another 15 minutes. A culinary masterpiece with a dollop of sour cream. Again, Sulla said they were perfect.

For veggies, we had a typical salad. I also cooked carrots and pearl onions in the frozen section with which I lightly tossed butter, lemon juice, salt and dill. Mmm...mmm...grubbin'!

I also cooked biscuits...just plain 'ol biscuits...directly from the can. Heh!

Finally, for dessert, I must confess. I made 2 desserts because I am so indecisive. It hurst my brain to decide what undies I'm going to wear with an outfit! So, I choose a peanut butter bar and a "7-layer" bar that actually only had 5 layers...hmmm...

And, again, Sulla, the trained, experienced expert in the field, told me everything was BRILLIANT! Oh, he didn't actually say it...but he MEANT it!

And Dilibririth, my mommy, loved it!

She gave me the best compliment. She saod, "You have become such a good cook". Now, I've never had confidence flowing out my pores, so to hear that my whole family, including the one who is trained to do things like this, approved...even said it was PERFECT!

Then came the coffee. Dilibririth and I had some coffee after dinner, and after the boys left and the dishes were done,to settle our tummies. It was quite good.

Also, today was a day I felt validated...

I've wanted to have children for a LONG time. Well, this morning, my pastor wanted to honor all mothers in the room. He made all of us women who were 21 and older stand up because, "[you] may not have any birth children, but [you're] mothering someone."

Wow...what a way to have your feelings acknowledged and validated. I got a flower and a chocolate bar for mother's day!

No comments: