Monday, September 1, 2008

Day One-Hundred-Seventeen...Confirmation!

So, today, I received confirmation from several places that I'm supposed to go back to college and get my Deaf Studies.

1) Family

My family has ALWAYS been my balance. Especially Sulla. He's just always (sometimes, very annoyingly) talkin' smack about my plans and decisions. Ok, not really talkin' smack, but I have to admit, that was fun to say! Anyway, he's always "questioning" me about what I'm doing, making sure I'm thinking things through. I was actually talking with him about going back for the English degree. I was telling him all the hoops I had to jump through before I would be able to do it and wasn't sure I could make it in time. He said something the other day that made me go, "Gosh, thanks, dude! That really felt awful!" He said, "Maybe you need to reconsider being a teacher. It seems like, even though you're good at it, it's not what God has meant for you to do. Maybe you missed the boat."

I was stunned...

But, I didn't say anything and just thought about it. Normally, I would have gotten mad at him and depressed because I "know he's right". But, no, God actually used that to get me thinking about the direction in my life. I KNOW, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I am to be a teacher. I know that. I know I am supposed to be teaching in an ASL/Deaf field. So, as I posted the other day, I looked for some information on how to become a better teacher. I came across the Deaf Studies program. So, I decided to take that path.

Here comes the confirmation...

When I told Sulla, Dilibrirth and Gray Cloak about it, they ALL said, "GO FOR IT!" There was no questioning, no "do you think this is God's path?". None of that! That NEVER happens! So, confirmation number one!

2) Leadership

I've joined Facebook. I found the ASLTA page on Facebook and tried to join. Well, the President of the ASLTA responded and informed me that I couldn't be part of the page because I wasn't a member of the ASLTA. I told her I didn't realize it was different than the WA-ASLTA and I would join as soon as possible. I thought, if anyone would know what it takes to be a good ASL teacher, it would be her above anyone else. So, I asked. She told me that the Deaf Studies program would be "exactly what [I] need" to improve my skills. She also said that I might want to add regular education classes such as classroom management, assessment skills and some classes on teaching foreign language. Well, I already have those, so I'm good to go!

3) Finances

In order to go to school, I have to work 40 hours a week. I've done that before, but it's only been because I was taking all classes online! Not this program. Some can be taken online, but not the majority. And, some of the classes are day and some are night. Well, I've made it possible to take classes around my working schedule. If I substitute this year, I can take jobs on days I don't have classes during the day. Then, I can do my PSA "thing" evenings and weekends...or after class, depending on when they finish. If I don't sub, or if I get another full-time day job, I can take most of the classes I really need during the afternoons and evenings. So, it works out where I can do both! And, I can get enough financial aid to cover some expenses, get out of debt, and have enough for books, supplies and gas for transportation.

God is good.

No comments: