Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Day...Way Too Late at Night to Care

So, I just held a baby that is less than two hours old. Yes, you read
that right...TWO HOURS! Rosie-Posie Bramble had her baby while I hung
out with Peony Brockhouse today. Rosie-Posie let me know last night
that she was probably going to be induced today at 6 am. Her husband
texted me this morning at 6 saying they needed to leave at 7:00 and
asked if I could be there by 6:45. So, I got up and 15 minutes later
was on the road!

Fortunately, Peony and I had a very busy day. We went to the college at
which I will be taking classes. I had to sit through the orientation
seminar before I could register. It's a necessary evil, but kinda
redundent. I have been through orientations with my AA, my BA and my
MA. I don't think much has changed! Anyway, we had a BUSY day!
Leaving the house at noon to meet with my advisor, which I'll comment on
in a moment, we got to the school about 12:30. We didn't leave there
until about 4 pm. And, naturally, I forgot to pack a lunch and I spent
what little money I had on parking and the stupid test I had to take.
And...I forgot that 3-year-olds still take naps. So, naturally, Peony
was EXHAUSTED and CRABBY when we got to my house for a sandwich and
Goldfish crackers! But, still, she was a VERY good girl!

We finally got home, in our PJs, and settled down with a snack to watch
a movie...Mulan, to be exact! I got a text at 9:38 from Túveren saying
"He's here!". So, we went to the hospital. And I got to hold the most
precious little boy I've seen in a LONG time. He was literally 1 hour
and 15 minutes old. Wow.

Ok, so I met with my advisor at 12:30. I had to get permission to take
some of the ITP classes while concurrently enrolled in ASL classes.
Yes, I'm taking ASL classes! I've never had that formal experience, so
I can't translate it into my own ASL classroom. Anyway, basically, I'm
going to hybridize (if that's a word!) my degree. I'm going to take all
of the Deaf Studies classes and most of the ITP classes for a total of
96 credits. The only thing I won't do is the practicum and the advanced
ASL-to-English and English-to-ASL classes. I don't need them. That's
not my goal. My goal is to get enough formal education so I can go,
confidently, into a school district and teach an ASL class.

So, my advisor gave me permission to go ahead with my plan of study.
Which ROCKS! Cuz it will be the only degree of its kind!

Ok, I'm exhausted right now, so I'm going to bed.

No comments: